Student organizations may appeal the funding decisions handed down by the SGA Ways and Means Committee and the Graduate and Professional Student Government. Appeals are only allowed based on a violation of viewpoint neutrality and/or a violation of due process. Any appeal outside of the two violations listed above will not be accepted. Appeals cannot be accepted if denied based on not following published deadlines.
Please contact the SAFC Business Manager, Casey Hurst, with any questions about the process.
Appeal Process Guidelines:
- Only event and travel grant awards may be appealed.
- SAFC will hear appeals based solely on allegations of violations of due process and/or viewpoint neutrality. Appeals will not be accepted due to the lack of preparedness of the student organization i.e. failure to adhere to published due dates for grant acceptance. Any appeal not meeting the criteria above will not be considered.
- Appeals must be submitted via the Student Organization Appeal Form on the SAFC website no later than 12:00 p.m. by the 5th business day after notification of the decision of the SGA Ways and Means Committee or the GPSG Finance Committee.
- Appeals must meet the following criteria:
- Completed Student Organization Appeal Form,
- Provide a full explanation of the reason(s) for the appeal, including how the organization alleges the award violates due process and/or viewpoint neutrality, and
- Include details written on or as an attachment.
- Approval/Denial email with decision from the SGA Ways and Means Committee or the GPSG Finance Committee.
- Funding application that is being appealed.
- The SAFC Chair will contact the student organization’s primary student representative, listed on the Funding Appeal form, via email within two business days of appeal acknowledging receipt and whether there will be a hearing on the appeal.
- If the appeal is considered, a hearing date will be set and listed in the email notice.
- If the appeal is not considered because it does not meet the criteria, the decision is final, and no additional avenues of appeal may be pursued.
- The SAFC Business Manager will make all necessary arrangements for the hearing.
- The SAFC Chairperson will chair all appeal hearings.
- The Appeal Committee will review the submitted Funding Appeal form and any evidence attached to that form.
- The Appeal Committee will review the submitted grant request application and any supporting materials/documents submitted with the application.
- The Appeal Committee will review the recording of the SGA Ways and Means Committee or GPSG Finance Committee funding hearing.
- The Appeal Committee will allow members of the appealing student organization to attend the hearing to answer any questions the committee may have, but not to provide additional evidence or information that was not included on the submitted Funding Appeal form.
- After all evidence and testimony has been presented, the Appeal Committee will then dismiss any members of the appealing student organization from the hearing.
- Based on the evidence presented in the appeal, the Appeal Committee will deliberate and formulate a written decision.
- The Appeal Committee will notify the student organization via e-mail of the Appeal Committee’s decision no later than the 5th business day of the appeal committee’s hearing.
- The decision determined by the Appeal Committee is final and no additional avenues of appeal may be pursued.